Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

This summer I will be working at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, IL. Fermilab is home to the largest Particle Physics laboratory in the U.S and the second largest in the world. I have been assigned to the Alignment and Metrology Group in the Particle Physics Division. I will be performing research in ultrasonic thermometry as well as performing level runs in the Tevatron particle accelerator. I am privileged to be one of the few interns to be working in the tunnel this year as it will enable me see first hand the challenges faced by the metrology group in their goals to ensure precise alignment of the quadrupole magnets in the accelerator. My other assignments cover a wide range consisting of core physics research, some programming, macros and data mining in addition to the level runs. I have been here for three weeks now and have nine more to go. My first couple of weeks involved safety as well as occupational training on how to run various kinds of levels. I was also duely trained on how to operate various laser trackers. The next couple of weeks should be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment